Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2009 (Part One)

1. The return of "Lost"
When we last left the castaways, all kinds of crazy junk went down. Locke was dead! The island vanished! They have to go back to save everyone! What the frick is going on on this show? I still don't really have any idea, but I cannot wait to find out. With only two seasons left to unfold four years of torturous mysteries, the show's writers have a lot of work ahead of them. But as someone who's spent the past few weeks rewatching the entire "Alias" series, I think JJ Abrams can figure it out. While I contest that the final two seasons of "Alias" were fairly unbearable (though they some moments of awesomeness, and Jen Garner as a preggers superspy was a little hard to write), it still remains one of my favorite shows of all time. Rewatching it, I was reminded how good Abrams is at weaving mystery and mythology and how elements of "Alias" are used in "Lost," only in a way that makes it better, not worse. Abrams and his team are certainly good at drawing viewers in and I can't wait to see where they go next.



2. "I Love You Man"
This is probably the most excited I've been for a movie to come out since someone gave Lance Bass a starring role in "On the Line." It stars Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, who are two of the smartest and funniest actors in Hollywood. It's also about my favorite subject: the bromance. (Please do not confuse this with the Brody Jener show on MTV. I don't know what the heck that's about, but I want nothing to do with it). Paul Rudd stars as a newly engaged guy who realizes he doesn't have anyone to ask to be his best man. To set the plot in motion, someone suggest he go out on man-dates to find a BFF to be his best men. Guess what? Hilarity ensues. Check out the trailer, it's slated for release March 20 and I can't wait.


3. Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse"

While the drama and secrecy surrounding this show (not to mention the Friday night time slot) has made me almost afraid to even start watching it, I can't pretend not to be glad to have Joss Whedon back on TV. It wasn't until seeing "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog" that I realized how much I missed having Joss in my life. As someone who has seriously shaped my whacky sense of humor and my motivation as a writer, having him back on network TV is truly exciting. I'm a little worried that he's trying too hard to make a TV that appeals to the masses and that witty and twisted sense of humor will somehow get lost in translation, I am hoping against hope to be wrong about this one. Eliza Dushku is a great Boston girl, and I loved her as Faith, but I've never really been convinced in any of her other roles, and I worry that the expectations for this show (some people are crapping themselves, in case you didn't know) have already doomed it. Either way, I will be watching and hoping that Joss can do it again. If not, he can always write a(nother) Buffy movie. I hear Sarah Michelle Gellar needs work.

Click to watch a sneak peak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do realize JJ Abrams pretty much isn't involved at all with Lost? He helped with the very first episode and that's it. He doesn't work on Lost.