Thursday, January 29, 2009

In Defense of the Snuggie


I am not a big fan of the "As Seen on TV" products. I survived a time when my family was kind of obsessed with ordering infomercial products. we have a basement full of crappy, once-used-then-forgotten products like that pot that boils and strains, the electric bag resealer (which by the way, almost set the bag on fire), to name a few. Even today, my parents still occasionally fall for gizmos like the Swivel Sweeper and I know my mother is still contemplating the Magic Bullet (because we don't already have a blender or anything). Mostly I just ignore these products because, besides the sometimes hilarious infomercials, they are bogus. I mean come on, 8 shamWOWs for $20?? And I'll never need to buy paper towels again?! Sign me up! I can see through the facade that buying AquaGlobes means you'll never have to water your plants again. And then there was the Snuggie.

When I first saw a commercial for the Snuggie my initial reaction was giggling insanely at the priest-like robe that the actors were wrapped up in. Still shot ads of people wrapped in Snuggies during sporting events also proved completely ridiculous. Then, the other night I was sitting on the couch reading a book when suddenly I got cold. So I threw a blanket over my legs and continued reading. But then my upper half was still cold, so I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders like a shawl and continued reading. But then my legs were cold. Even if I had two blankets, one for my shoulders and one for my legs, I would have still have cold, blanketless arms as they would be busy holding up the book. Unless I had a Snuggie!

As far as stupid inventions go, the Snuggie isn't all that bad. In fact, I think the worst part about it is the name. Sure wearing one causes you to resemble a monk, but guess who just found her last-minute Halloween costume for this year? But unlike so many of its fellow "As Seen on TV" counterparts, the Snuggie doesn't claim to slice, chop, dice, or mop the way so many of those other products flash in front of your face. The Snuggie just wants to keep you warm. Plus, it comes with a FREE booklight, which only makes me want to buy one even more. I mean come on, its slogan is "The blanket that has sleeves!" How can you argue with that? I don't think you can. I think I want a Snuggie.

Crap...they got me.

No comments: